Sunday, April 22, 2007

Afterglow

I am post call, having my cup of coffee. Had my banana earlier and already had a cup of Vono Mushroom soup. Killing time, but not swatting flies.
Just wanted to pen down some thoughts before I forget all about it and recalling would spoil the flow. Just when I felt like work was loosing its sparkle and getting hostile... not that it is not but I just wanted to highlight the minority of "little" people that make the place a better place.
Firstly - my "GodAunty", she is a community nurse - JM in the clinic and ever since I have joined Selayang she has been a real sweetie. Always helpful and thoughtful. She is always there to meet me in the morning with my Sun news paper and my breakfast! Always ready to ensure that I have something to eat or drink ( that's why I put on weight whenever I am posted to the clinic *smile*) , and furthermore when I do need a 'interpretor" for those difficult Chinese patients she's there. So today I take the time to be grateful to her for what she has done for me in making work a little less depressing.
Second - I got a call last night at approximately 12 midnight in my on call room, from the houseofficer on call in the labour room telling me about a patient and a CTG tracing..... was a little groggy as I had slept from 8pm.... so I got up, not even suspecting a thing and he presented the case to me, after a while I noticed that it was rather dark and the lights were off... and out of the corner comes my friend Irishah and another house-officer with my birthday cake. It was entirely his effort and his idea to get me a cake. Why do I find this so sweet is because I hardly knew this house-officer - TJW, he's been in the department for almost a month and of course I found him very promising in his work but it was just so thoughtful of him. I mean I know my good friend Irishah wouldn't have done something like that and he was just just here at the right time and the right place as he was on call also. This was almost a complete stranger and how it really reflects that there are still some kind and thoughtful people out there.
I am so glad that this was an eye opening day for me, there are so many times when we just take alot of things and people for granted.... most of the times just "using" people for our convinience but never once to give a thought about what they do for us.
So to the 2 people that make work for me a little more worth bearing - a very big hug and thank you. You both restored my faith that there are kind people out there... those who do it not for additional benefits / favours.

No comments: